A swing non return valve, also called swing check valve, is a type of non return valve used in piping systems to allow the flow of fluid in one direction and prevent back-flow in the opposite direction. the swing non return valve consists of a hinged disc or flap that swings open to allow flow when the fluid pressure is in the correct direction and swings closed to block flow when the pressure reverses.
The swing non return valve operates based on the principle of the swinging disc, which is attached to a hinge or pivot at the top. When the fluid flows in the desired direction, it pushes the disc open, allowing the fluid to pass through the swing non return valve. However, when the flow tries to reverse, the disc of that non return valve swings shut due to gravity and the fluid pressure, preventing back flow.
Swing non return valves are commonly used in various applications, including water supply systems, sewage systems, irrigation systems, and industrial processes. They are suitable for both horizontal and vertical installations, dependent on the specific design and configuration of the valve.
How swing non return valve works:
The swing non return valve works based on the principle of a swinging disc or flap that opens and closes to control the flow of fluid. Here is a step-by-step explanation of how a swing non return valve/swing check valve operates:
- Flow in the desired direction: When the fluid flows in the desired direction, the pressure of the fluid pushes against the hinged disc, causing it to swing open. This allows the fluid to pass through the swing non return valve with minimal resistance.
- Prevent back flow: When the flow tries to reverse or go in the opposite direction, the swing non return valve/ swing check valve’s design and gravity come into play. The fluid pressure from the backflow pushes against the swing non return valve’s disc, causing it to close and block the flow. The disc swings shut due to gravity, aided by the system pressure.
- Sealing mechanism: Once the swing check valve disc is closed, it creates a tight seal against the valve seat. This seal prevents any further back flow and ensures that the fluid cannot flow in the opposite direction. the sealing material of swing non return valve can be EPDM or metal material. the customer can choose different sealing materials according to different working conditions.
- Minimal pressure drop: When the swing non return valve is open, it allows fluid to flow smoothly, minimizing the pressure drop across the valve. This characteristic is advantageous since it provides efficient flow and reduces energy losses.
- Reverse flow prevention: The swing non return valve’s primary function is to prevent back flow or reverse flow in a piping system. It ensures that the fluid can only flow in one direction, preventing any potential damage or disruption in the system.
Where swing non return valves are used:
Swing non return valves find applications in various industries and systems where back flow prevention is crucial. Some common uses of swing non return valves/swing check valves include:
- swing non return valves can be used in Water Supply Systems: Swing non return valves/swing check valve are commonly installed in water supply systems, such as municipal water lines or building plumbing, to prevent the reverse flow of water and ensure the efficient distribution of water in one direction.
- swing non return valves can be used for Sewage Systems: Swing check valves/swing non return valves are used in sewage systems and wastewater treatment plants to prevent the back flow of sewage or wastewater, which could contaminate the clean water supply or cause system damage.
- swing non return valves are used in Irrigation Systems: Swing non return valves/swing check valves are often employed in irrigation systems to prevent drainage or the undesired flow of water back into the water source, ensuring efficient and controlled irrigation.
- swing non return valves/swing check valve can be used for Oil and Gas Industry: Swing check valves/swing non return valves are used in oil and gas pipelines to prevent the reversal of flow, especially when it comes to preventing the back flow of fluids that can damage equipment or cause accidents.
- swing check valves/swing non return valves can be used in Industrial Processes: Swing check valves are utilized in various industrial processes where the direction of fluid flow needs to be controlled and back flow must be prevented for safety reasons or to maintain process efficiency.
- swing non return valves/swing check valves can be used for HVAC Systems: Swing check valves can be found in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to prevent the unwanted backflow of fluids, ensuring proper circulation and control within the system.
- swing non return valves can be used for Fire Protection Systems: Swing non return valve/swing check valves are often incorporated into fire sprinkler systems and fire hydrants to prevent the reverse flow of water, maintaining the readiness and effectiveness of the fire protection system.
These are just a few examples illustrating the wide range of applications where swing non return valves are commonly used. The specific requirements of the system, such as pressure rating, temperature, and flow rate, will determine the type and size of the swing check valve suitable for a particular application.
Belo Valve can supply DIN EPDM lined resilient seated swing non return valves and BS metal to metal hard seated swing non return valves, if you are looking for some swing non return valves, pls contact us: